Although most people are aware that commercial buildings are required by law to have fire extinguishers, they do not know that there are actually many different types of extinguishers to choose from. Each specific type of fire extinguisher is developed for a certain type of fire or may only be applicable in particular situations.
At A Total Solution, Inc., we want to help our clients find the best fire extinguishers to meet the unique needs of their commercial buildings. Here are a few of the different types available to help keep your employees and property safe:
- ABC Dry Chemical – One of, if not the most, common types of fire extinguishers, ABC dry chemical extinguishers can be used on class A, B, and C fires with a specially designed powder. This powder helps extinguish fires started by burning gases and liquids, electrical fires, or common combustible solids, which makes it a great choice for office buildings. The maximum range of this type is from 5 to 20 feet at a discharge time varying from 8 to 25 seconds.
- Water Mist – For facilities such as hospitals with sensitive equipment, pressurized water mist extinguishers are a great choice. ABC extinguishers could corrode or damage expensive machinery while water mist can safely put out a fire without damaging equipment.
- Carbon Dioxide – With the help of a cold discharge, Carbon Dioxide extinguishers remove the heat and oxygen from a fire. Although this type cannot be used on fires that are caused by metals, they do work well in laboratories. The maximum range of these extinguishers is between 3 and 8 feet at a discharge time of 8 to 30 seconds. They cannot be used on class B or C fires and should not be used in smaller, unventilated rooms.
- Class K – Class K extinguishers are wet chemical extinguishers that are mainly used in kitchens by forming a foam blanket that prevents fire re-ignition. However, they cannot be used to extinguish gas fires. They reach a maximum range of 8 to 12 feet at a rate of 30 to 85 seconds.
- Sand/Metal – Sometimes referred to as D-type, these extinguishers work well on class D fires caused by metals such as magnesium, titanium, and sodium. They use a sodium chloride agent to essentially smother the fire at a range of 3 to 6 feet in 8 to 25 seconds.
Do you know the right type of fire extinguisher for your commercial building? Don’t worry! The fire protection specialists at A Total Solution, Inc. are here to help! Contact us today for your FREE estimate!